BMW E46 Navigation 09/2002 Onwards Install
1) Remove passenger trim gently (an old credit card is excellent to gently pry out the friction pins - there are 4 of them on this trim)
2) Remove the Trim from above the monitor (should be one remaining friction pin close to steering wheel). This trim 'shares' a friction pin with the passenger trim. There is also a clip (just pull out) above the centre of the screen on this trim piece.
3) Unscrew the 2 screws from the top of the screen which also hold the a/c vents.
4) Pull out the a/c vents (they just go click, and out they pop)
5) You should be able to see the wiring harness
6) The 'female' plug for the AUX input is hidden, wrapped up in that cable fabric. You should be able to 'feel' for it as a lump - carefully unravel it. (SEE PICTURE LINK BELOW)
7) Plug our cable into the plug, you can now test unit and ensure you're getting aux before you start finishing your install.
To remove the nav unit, you need to:
1. remove trim over glove box
2. remove trim over head unit
3. remove 2 screws over head unit/ac vents
4. remove AC vents over radio
5. open head unit (eject button). Put something under as a prop to keep it open when it tries to autoclose. 2 tabs on the bottom behind the face hold the unit in.
6. with the help of a light and a thin pick, push each tab towards the inside of the radio while gently pulling the unit out (if you move the tab right, the unit will easily slide out on each side).
Picture of the clips mentioned above here (bottom of page)
To note you do not need a special tool, a fine flat head screwdriver or metal nail file will be fine.
When you press mode and find the Aux mode you can press the numbers below the mode button to change how loud the input is made. Then use volume as per usual. When in Aux mode press number 6 and then set volume as per usual on device and car.